Everyone who knows me knows that I love to bake. Most of what I make has chocolate in it, but sometimes even I need a break from the super-sweet treats. I have tried many peanut butter cookie recipes over the years, but I just never found the right one – until THIS recipe came along!
Yes, these peanut butter cookies have oatmeal in them (therefore, it is also healthy, haha), but the peanut butter is the overwhelming flavor. The oats actually give it an even more nutty taste – almost as if there are nuts in the cookie.
PEANUT BUTTER OATMEAL COOKIES
- 1/2 cup shortening (I use Butter Flavor Crisco)
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening, margarine, brown sugar, white sugar, and peanut butter until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture.
- Mix in the oats until just combined.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until just light brown. Don’t over-bake. Cool and store in an airtight container.