These Sugar Cookies are a staple of my family’s holiday baking! The secret to making these stand out from a traditional sugar cookie is the addition of almond extract. Of course, if you don’t like almond, you can simply use vanilla; but the almond gives it a distinctly special flavor. With Easter just around the corner, you can use pastel colored sugar for a festive touch!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Crisco (I used Butter Flavored)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoons cream of tarter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Extra sugar for rolling dough in; I like to use a colored sugar related to the holiday
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease cookie sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together sugar and Crisco. Add in egg, beating well.
- Add in flour, cream of tarter, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, pinch of salt, and almond and/or vanilla extract. Mix until just combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, roll one scoop of dough together in your hand to form a ball. Roll the ball of dough in sugar. Place on the greased baking sheet and press down with the bottom of a glass.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.