Snickerdoodle cookies are a holiday baking staple in my house! These are my dad’s favorite cookie, so I try to make them early in the season for him.
- 1 cup shortening (I use Butter Crisco)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cream of tarter
- Extra sugar and ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a mixer, beat together the shortening and sugar until grainy paste is formed.
- Add in eggs and beat until fluffy.
- Sift together flour, salt, and cream of tarter: add to wet mixture. Mix until just blended.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon.
- Using a cookie scoop (or just a regular spoon, although once you have a cookie scoop, you will never be able to make cookies again without it), scoop out a portion of dough and then roll it into your hand to form a ball.
- Roll the ball into the sugar/cinnamon mixture until well coated and then place 2-inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes